“Declare His glory among the nations, His marvellous works among all the peoples!” 1 Chronicles 16: 24.
This may have been a daunting task in the past, but with the technological advancements of today, there are no more excuses! Travel has been made easy and people are increasingly mobile. The mission field is now more accessible than ever before. In fact, God has brought the nations to our local shores. There are many foreigners working and studying in Singapore; including dependents, they constitute approximately 39% of Singapore’s 5.8 million population. We have a large mission field right at our doorstep—both local and foreign.
God is actively drawing the nations to Himself. Be a part of God’s exciting plan. Ask: “God what are you doing? Can I get involved?” Of course you can! After all, the Great Commission is for everyone. God’s strategy is relayed in Matthew 28: 18-20, “And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’ ” But how do we carry out God’s commission?
1. Be a disciple who is completely yielded to the King. Resolve in your heart to obey His Word; this is central to our discipleship. Do we only know God’s
Word in our heads but not our hearts?
2. Focus on Prayer to align ourselves with God’s plans. Pray boldly, passionately and shamelessly. Listen to Him.
3. Go where people do not know the King, serve and engage them. Opportunities are everywhere. During my recent hospital stay, I had the privilege of witnessing to the patient next to me. As I got to know her, our casual conversations soon turned more personal, and I began to engage her on a spiritual level by asking her about her religious beliefs. What started out as a simple “hello” had turned into an opportunity for me to share with her God’s love and gift of salvation. In the subsequent days, we studied God’s Word together so that she could discover God for herself. God’s Word will convict. We continue to keep in touch.
4. Make disciples not just converts. Emphasize discipleship-based learning that puts God’s Word into practice.
5. Multiply by making disciples who disciple others. The cycle begins anew.
Start building genuine relationships for they are the doorway for the gospel to enter into a community. People generally respond to love and kindness. Serve and engage your community today.
Sister Teo Soke Fung