“Proclaim that Christ lives and that He is returning soon!”
After Jesus rose from the dead, He appeared to His disciples. Before He ascended to the
heavens, He gave His disciples the Great Commission.
Jesus Christ is now seated at the right hand of God. He intercedes for all those who have come to believe in Him. He also stretches out His hands to all who have yet to believe in Him. At the appointed time that only the Heavenly Father knows, He will come for the church, His Bride (Jn 14:2-3; 1 Thess 4:17).
So what are Christians to do before the appearing of Christ? We are to be pre-occupied with the business of the Heavenly Father. We do so while we work for our living and while we live the remaining of our lives on earth. But how do we prepare?
1) By studying and doing the will of God. The Bible reveals the will of God (2 Tim 3:16-17). As an easy reminder, B.I.B.L.E. stands for Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. Hence, we are to read the whole Bible and study as hard-working learners of the Bible. Do you skip your daily meals? Pray and ask God to give you the same discipline to set aside personal time to read and study the Bible. Would you want to be ashamed when the Lord appears? Surely not! So get on and pray, read and study the Bible and do what is written therein (2 Tim 2:15; James 1:23).
2) By abiding in the Holy Spirit and praying in the Holy Spirit (Rom 8:26-27; Jude 1:20; 1John 2:27). Be filled with the Spirit, by feeding of God’s Word and by heeding Him (Eph 5:18). Do not quench or grieve the Holy Spirit, by slothfulness and straying after other desires (Eph 4:30; 1 Thess 5:19).
By way of reminder, two of Bethesda Chapel’s core values are Word-filled and Spirit-filled lives.
As Christians we are to represent Christ. Our risen Lord has given all Christians His Spiritual resources – the Holy Spirit and the Holy Scriptures. He has also given His authority and His great commission.
His great commission has been expressed in several ways:
1) Make disciples of Christ from all nations (Matt 28:19-20).
2) Preach the Gospel to every one (Mark 16:15). Start by praying for those you know.
3) Proclaim repentance and forgiveness of sins in His name to all nations, (Luk 24:47).
4) “As the Father sent Me, so I sent you” (John 20:21).
To obey and do all that Jesus has commanded His believers. Read the Gospel of John and
the rest of the Bible.
5) Witness for Christ in the home, at work and in other places (Acts 1:8).
6) Appeal to those who are unbelievers and backsliders to be reconciled to God, for Christians are
ambassadors of Christ (2 Cor 5:20). Bring back drifters, encourage backsliders and call sinners to faith
in Jesus Christ (Heb 10:23-24; Jude 22-23).
7) Participate with the Holy Spirit by inviting all who are thirsty to come to Jesus:
“ The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is
thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price” (Rev 22:17).
He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. (Rev 22:20-21).
Elder Yoong Yuen Soo