Every Christian is tested by God during the flattened economy and in the homes. It is time for older men to reflect and lead the others as older disciples of Christ.
“Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness” (Titus 2:2).
The word “older” literally refers to “an old man.” They are in their 50’s and older.
The elders in Titus 1:5 refer to the leaders or the office bearers in the local church.
Both an older man (presbutes) and an elder (presbuteros) ought to have these qualities:
- Sober-minded or disciplined. He is vigilant. He does not give in to wine or women or wealth. One who is Spirit-filled is clear-headed. He has sound mental judgment, and steers away from the passions and desires of his old nature.
- Serious-minded or dignified. The word “dignified” means “with reverence.” He is not frivolous, negative or ultra-critical. He graciously gives way and keeps his dignity.
- Self-controlled or discreet. He is sensible in judgment. He has maturity in judgment and exercises restraint. He has self-mastery in thought and judgment, and is balanced and reasonable.
- Spiritually healthy in faith, love, and steadfastness. In the Greek, all three qualities are preceded by the definite article “the.”
- The faith: sound doctrine in accordance with the Bible.
- The love: true Christian love is the fruit from faith in the Gospel and flows to others by the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- The perseverance: true believers persevere through the painful trials of life, especially during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Finally, during the pandemic, he SUBMITS to the Government and the Almighty GOD. He waits patiently for further reopening of worship services and recovery of the world economy.