“Peace be with you. Just as the Father has sent me, I also send you” (John 20:21).
The gospel in Christ is a message of peace from God to men. The risen Christ gives us this assurance that He has defeated the host of the spiritual powers in the heavenly places. “And having disarmed the powers and authorities,he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over themby the cross” (Col 2:15). No longer should we be afraid of death. Jesus is “the resurrection and the life.” Whoever believes in Jesus will liveeven if he dies, and the one who lives and believes in Him will never die.Do we believe this? (John 11:25-26)
Our Heavenly Father is an AWESOME GOD. Awesome in Hebrew is “yare” (to be feared). This God has sent (apostello) Jesus Christ on a divine mission. Jesus’ mission was to come as a human being, to teach God’s word, to live by God’s will, and to die on the Cross so as to save sinners. He has done it. So the risen Christ calls us and sends us out on an AWESOME mission. Where to? To homes, schools, worksites, offices, all places, including the mission field. Why is the mission AWESOME? Let’s see.
- Ambassadors of Christ – we are to pray and appeal to men and women to be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ (2 Cor 5:20). The spirit of the gospel is peace. Pray for the end of strife in the family and community. Bring God’s message of peace to them. “THE AMBASSADORS OF MISSIONS are all members of the Church…” (Bethesda Chapel’s Missions Policy).
- Witnesses of Christ – we are to bear witness that Jesus is risen, and has died for our sins. Live the new life in-Christ! (2 Cor 5:17). Bear witness through the Good News, by good conduct and good works.
- Evangelists for Christ – we can share the gospel of Christ with any child, relative, friend, foreigner, or a stranger at our “door-steps.” Traditional evangelists still carry the gospel to places where it was previously unknown. Be a personal evangelist to someone.
- Servants of Christ – we are called servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God (1Co 4:1). Christ is the mystery of God revealed to men. Remember the Cushite with no name. He was merely called Ebed-Melech (servant of a king). Yet he rescued Jeremiah, a prophet of God (Jer 38:12). Serve someone today.
- Ordinary people of Christ – we are called to be God’s extraordinary people (a peculiar people KJV), even though not many of us are wise or power or rich by worldly standards (1Co 1:26). Declare the wonders of Him who has called us out of darkness into his marvelous light (1Pe 2:9).
- Members of Christ’s Body – we can and ought to function as members of the Body of Christ. Deploy our time and God-given spiritual gifts for our roles in the local church (1 Cor 12).
- Examples of Christ, disciple-makers of Christ – we are to encourage one another in the faith, through koinonia in small groups and in the local church. The children, the young believers, the weak in faith need discipling with the Word. Christ is the Pioneer and Perfecter of our faith. Imitate Christ. Be Christ’s examples (Eph 5:1; 1Cor 11:1; 1Pet 5:3).
Elder Yoong Yuen Soo